We had a great 4th of July cookout Sunday afternoon, hamburgers and hotdogs with all the red, white & blue trimmings, including lots of friends. Pluma’s Auntie Jill came, Linda (who does readings in the shop), Ananda (she bought Janie colored pencils and jewelry making supplies) and Heather, who used to work in the other store and was visiting for the weekend from her new home in Texas. Granddaughter Janie found a cookie recipe she wanted to make using several spices sold at Funky Karma. I will post it here so everyone can try them. Henry’s friend Sam bought Janie fireworks and she had a ball with poppers and sparklers. Later we drove to the Mall and watched the firework displays from around the valley, Mesilla and Las Cruces. All in all it was a great Happy Birthday America day!
Spiced Cookies; (makes about 2 dozen)
- Cream together 3/4 cup of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift 2 cups flour, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. ground Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground coriander, 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves.
- Mix flour and spices with creamed butter until throughly combined.
- Stir 2 tbsp juice into mix. (we used orange juice but any juice will work)
- Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheet, bake 350 degrees for 10 -12 minutes, then remove from cookie sheet and let them cool and crispen before serving.
- These cookies could be frozen for up to 2 months but I’m bettin’ there won’t be any left over to freeze!…Enjoy.